Surgical Societies In Partnership with RCS
University Surgical Societies - In Partnership with the Royal College of Surgeons
The College is keen to support medical students interested in a career in surgery and are aware of the excellent work that university surgical societies do in this area. For this reason, we have introduced our In Partnership scheme.
As a surgical society In Partnership with the College, you will be able to tell your colleagues and partners, including potential future sponsors that you work In Partnership with the College and use the College logo in your publicity materials, including on your website. We will also list your society on our website as being In Partnership with us.
Applications and Edibility Criteria
If you would like your surgical society to be In Partnership with the College, we will need the following from you:
- A named contact in the society and evidence of a handover process so that we don’t lose touch when this person leaves.
- Your society’s written constitution, including an open and fair committee appointment process
- Confirmation from your university that yours is the only surgical society at the medical school
- Written support from a Fellow of the College
- Annual update of activities (provided to the MSLC)
All of this information can be on or with the application form, which can be downloaded here. Please return completed forms to:
Opportunities in Surgery
The Royal College of Surgeons of England
35-43 Lincolns Inn Fields
Following successful application, you will need to complete an annual return form confirming any changes to personnel or committee structure. You will also need to provide an update of your activities at least once a year to the MSLC.
In Partnership status must be renewed every three years by re-completing the application form.
There are a number of things surgical societies In Partnership with the College are expected to do:
- Include a link from your surgical society website to the College’s website
- Agree to distribute relevant information from the College to your members (only where this would directly benefit society members and would not contravene data protection law)
- Not imply that any individual activity has been directly approved by the College or is run by the College
- Only use the College logo and name within the guidelines we will provide
- Include a phrase on your society website to the effect that “the Royal College of Surgeons of England does not accept responsibility for the action of this surgical society”
- Inform the College of any major changes to the structure of the society and any other factors which may affect your eligibility
The College reserves the right to remove In Partnership status if the surgical society does not adhere to these conditions or acts in a way which would bring the College into disrepute.
Surgical Societies that are currently In Partnership with the College are:
- Kings College London Surgical Society
- Imperial College School of Medicine (ISCM) Surgical Society
- Southampton Surgical Society
- HYMS Surgical Society
- Brighton and Sussex Medical School Surgical Society
- Warwick Medical School Surgical Society
- Leicester Scrubs
- Peninsula Undergraduate Surgeons
- Keele Surgical Society
- Barts and the London Surgical Society
- Cardiff University Surgical Society
- Nottingham University SCRUBS